Adobe Photoshop CS2 9.0.2 Canvas Size Error
BugginSue
2007-03-24 13:36:44 UTC
Good morning,

I've been trying to debug an error that is increasingly becoming more
annoying than anything.

When I try to adjust the Canvas Size it is defaulting to 0 in height
and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the current size.

So if my current image/canvas size is 400 x 300 and I select Canvas
Size and I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my new canvas size then
is 450 x 320.... it's ADDED my requested size instead of reducing the
image/canvas size.

I've tried to put in a negative sign in the front of the numbers, but
it obviously gives me an error.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have installed both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 updates directly from Adobe's
Website.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help!!

Sue
Harry Limey
2007-03-24 15:42:39 UTC
Post by BugginSue
Good morning,
I've been trying to debug an error that is increasingly becoming more
annoying than anything.
When I try to adjust the Canvas Size it is defaulting to 0 in height
and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the current size.
So if my current image/canvas size is 400 x 300 and I select Canvas
Size and I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my new canvas size then
is 450 x 320.... it's ADDED my requested size instead of reducing the
image/canvas size.
I've tried to put in a negative sign in the front of the numbers, but
it obviously gives me an error.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
I have installed both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 updates directly from Adobe's
Website.
Thanks so much in advance for all your help!!
Sue
I may be wrong but I don't think this can be done! After all if you want to
reduce excess canvas you could just crop!! If you think about it!! If you
reduce the canvas size without reducing the image size, you would have
nowhere for the excess image to go! Anyway! that's the way I look at it!!

The only way to reduce is via image size!! or just plain cropping!!
Mike Hyndman
2007-03-24 17:38:49 UTC
Post by Harry Limey
Post by BugginSue
[...]
Agree, she is increasing her image size by adding a 50 * 20 pixel "canvas
border" around the image.

MH
Toobi-Won Kenobi
2007-03-24 18:35:27 UTC
Post by BugginSue
Good morning,
I've been trying to debug an error that is increasingly becoming more
annoying than anything.
When I try to adjust the Canvas Size it is defaulting to 0 in height
and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the current size.
So if my current image/canvas size is 400 x 300 and I select Canvas
Size and I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my new canvas size then
is 450 x 320.... it's ADDED my requested size instead of reducing the
image/canvas size.
I've tried to put in a negative sign in the front of the numbers, but
it obviously gives me an error.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
I have installed both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 updates directly from Adobe's
Website.
Thanks so much in advance for all your help!!
Sue

When you open an image, the canvas size and "image size" are the same. When
you add 50 and 20 pixels to the canvas size it puts a border of this size
around your image, that is why you are seeing what you are.
If you want to make your image smaller you need to crop or resize your
image.
To Crop, hit C on your keyboard and type your size into the width/height
boxes on teh options bar, dont forget to add px, eg 50px.
To resize, go to Image>Image size and type your dimensions into the height
and width boxes.
If you want to reduce the file size (space it occupies on disc) check the
resamle box.
This will work OK if your "aspect ratio" is the same, before and after.

TWK
lemel_man
2007-03-25 07:04:15 UTC
Post by Toobi-Won Kenobi
Post by BugginSue
[...]
I've too have PS CS2 9.0.2. I just tried with an image where the canvas
size was 8.5" by 6.4". I changed the canvas size to 6" by 4", left the
"Relative" box unticked and pressed "OK". A warning window popped up
saying *The new canvas size is smaller than the current canvas size;
some clipping will occur". I pressed the "Proceed" button and the image
was clipped to 6x4".
So, it worked for me...
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Toobi Won Kenobi
2007-03-25 12:31:05 UTC
Post by lemel_man
Post by Toobi-Won Kenobi
Post by BugginSue
[...]
6 * 4 is an aspect ratio of 1.5:1
8.5 * 6.4 is an aspect ratio of 1.328125:1
So you should have seen some distortion using this "method" of reducing
image size.
In 10 years of using PS and similar I have never heard of anyone using
canvas size dimensions to reduce an image, increase yes, where you surround
the image with a "faux" mount or frame.

TWK
Dave
2007-03-25 16:15:37 UTC
Post by Toobi Won Kenobi
Post by lemel_man
Post by Toobi-Won Kenobi
Post by BugginSue
[...]
When you make the canvas size smaller, you are essentially performing a crop.
There is now distorion of the image because it is not being resized. You are
resizing te canvas that displays the image, so you are just seeing a smaller
portion. If you really want to crop the image, using teh crop tool is much
better in that you can actually choose where you want the crop to be.

If what you want to do is crop the image with canvas size, you need to make
sure the Relative Check Box us un checked.

If you want to see the whole image, only smaller, you need to use the Image
Size command. That will reduce the entire image and not crop it.

Dave Nelson
lemel_man
2007-03-26 07:03:15 UTC
Post by Toobi Won Kenobi
Post by lemel_man
Post by Toobi-Won Kenobi
Post by BugginSue
[...]
Well, I'm sorry to disillusion you, but I just tried again. This time
changed the canvas size to 6x1" - it cropped the image without
distorting it. The original image size was 256x1920 pixels @ 300/inch,
the new image size is 1800x300 pixels at the same resolution (which
gives 6x1").
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
lemel_man
2007-03-27 06:43:57 UTC
Sorry, finger trouble, that should be 2560x1920.
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Toobi Won Kenobi
2007-03-27 08:10:47 UTC
Post by lemel_man
Post by Toobi Won Kenobi
Post by lemel_man
Post by Toobi-Won Kenobi
Post by BugginSue
[...]
It is very rare for me to be disillusioned; so you managed to get it to crop
without distortion, well done!
It cropped the image yoiu say. What control did you have over the resulting
crop? Try it with a portrait and see what you lose and do you lose the same
features each time.

TWK
lemel_man
2007-03-27 12:38:52 UTC
...snip...
It cropped the image yoiu say. What control did you have over the resulting
crop? Try it with a portrait and see what you lose and do you lose the same
features each time.
TWK
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating using Canvas Size as a primary
cropping tool because there is very little control as to what is chopped
off. You can only choose to align the cropped area with the centre of
the image, each of the 4 corners, or the middle of each side: 9 options
in all.
I only posted because somebody said that Canvas Size didn't crop and I'd
been using it to trim a bunch of images to 6x4" after adjusting for
optimum resolution. On some images I added a bit, and others I removed a
bit. Canvas Size was the ideal tool.
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Toobi-Won Kenobi
2007-03-27 13:45:23 UTC
Post by lemel_man
...snip...
It cropped the image yoiu say. What control did you have over the
resulting crop? Try it with a portrait and see what you lose and do you
lose the same features each time.
TWK
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating using Canvas Size as a primary
cropping tool because there is very little control as to what is chopped
off. You can only choose to align the cropped area with the centre of the
image, each of the 4 corners, or the middle of each side: 9 options in
all.
I only posted because somebody said that Canvas Size didn't crop and I'd
been using it to trim a bunch of images to 6x4" after adjusting for
optimum resolution. On some images I added a bit, and others I removed a
bit. Canvas Size was the ideal tool.
It's like using a hammer to fix screws when you have a couple of DeWalt
drill/drivers in your tool box.
It may work (at what damage to the screw?) but there are better tools to
use.
TWK
BugginSue
2007-03-27 00:45:03 UTC
Post by BugginSue
Good morning,
I've been trying to debug an error that is increasingly becoming more
annoying than anything.
When I try to adjust the Canvas Size it is defaulting to 0 in height
and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the current size.
So if my current image/canvas size is 400 x 300 and I select Canvas
Size and I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my new canvas size then
is 450 x 320.... it's ADDED my requested size instead of reducing the
image/canvas size.
I've tried to put in a negative sign in the front of the numbers, but
it obviously gives me an error.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
I have installed both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 updates directly from Adobe's
Website.
Thanks so much in advance for all your help!!
Sue
First off, thank you all for responding!! :)

I guess I did not explain this correctly.... there is a problem with
my install of Photoshop and I'm trying to see how to fix it besides
uninstalling and reinstalling.

These are the steps I take just to give you an idea of what is the
problem here:

1. I open an image, for example sake let's say it's 450 x 300
2. I want to crop it to 85 x 85, middle default to crop to the middle
3. I select Image Canvas Size
4. Where it should have Current Size: 450 x 300 in the Width: /
Height: ;... THIS IS THE ERROR: it has Width: 0 / Height: 0
5. If I put in 85 x 85 and click Ok my new canvas size is now 535 x
385 and a nice 85 pixel frame in the background color which was set
for the Canvas Extention Color

In other words, I can not do anything smaller than my original canvas
size... I have to manually crop, which sometimes is a pain when I want
to take a pixel or two off without having to draw guides to make sure
I get it perfect... or double click and type in a manual marching ants
marquee to then select and crop.

Again, it's just a major annoyance than anything, but it's just enough
to bug me to want to see if there is an easy fix.

Thanks again!!
Toobi Won Kenobi
2007-03-27 09:27:20 UTC
Post by BugginSue
Post by BugginSue
[...]
If what you see is due to a "bug"it is one that his unique to your setup, I
have found no mention of this in the adobe archives.
It is possible that your prefs file has suffered some corruption and needs
to be deleted. A reinstallation will not correct this!
See the help files for intructions.
What his difficult in typing your dimensions into the Crop tool's height and
width boxes or in Image>Image Size?
Resizing (the correct way) read
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/excerpt/PhotoshopCS_chap05/index.html

TWK

TWK
BugginSue
2007-03-28 00:08:54 UTC
Post by Toobi Won Kenobi
Post by BugginSue
Post by BugginSue
[...]
TWK- Hide quoted text -
Thanks, I'll definitely check this out! I haven't been able to find
any mention of this online or the Adobe site, etc. as well.. you all
have been very accommodating! Thank you again!!
shadysprings
2007-04-08 21:07:24 UTC
Post by BugginSue
Good morning,
I've been trying to debug an error that is increasingly becoming more
annoying than anything.
When I try to adjust theCanvasSizeit is defaulting to 0 in height
and width. If I enter any number it adds it to the currentsize.
So if my current image/canvassizeis 400 x 300 and I selectCanvasSizeand I put in 50 x 20 (to make it smaller) my newcanvassizethen
is 450 x 320.... it's ADDED my requestedsizeinstead of reducing the
image/canvassize.
I've tried to put in a negative sign in the front of the numbers, but
it obviously gives me an error.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
I have installed both 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 updates directly from Adobe's
Website.
Thanks so much in advance for all your help!!
Sue
Exact same thing just started happening to me last week. Just came
out of the blue. Real pain now that I can control canvas size without
doing math to figure out what to add and subtract.

Wonder if a reinstall will fix it back.